Stretching is great for your muscles, but take steps to make sure you’re doing it properly to help avoid injury.
The Mayo Clinic suggests:
- Always warm up with a short walk or jog before stretching. Stretching should not be considered your warm-up.
- Stretch the major muscle groups and joints that you use regularly each day.
- Hold your stretch for 30 seconds to 60 seconds in a position that isn’t painful. Never bounce when you stretch. If you play a sport, make your stretching specific to that sport.
- Be consistent with your stretching, and aim for at least two to three times per week.
- Incorporate gentle movements, such as yoga or tai chi, with your stretching.