If you’re at risk for type 2 diabetes, making some lifestyle changes can help you keep the disease at bay.
The American Diabetes Association suggests:
- Evaluate the changes you need to make, and choose those you want to make first. Don’t try to change too much at once.
- Keep your change goals short-term, realistic and specific.
- Set one or two eating-related goals, and one physical activity goal.
- Make goals specific, such as swapping your nightly bowl of ice cream for a bowl of fruit. Don’t just make it a goal to eat more fruit.
- Write down your goals (one to three at a time is ideal) and put them somewhere visible, such as on your mirror.