It’s commonplace to down a meal quickly without thinking about the food you’re eating. This can lead to overeating and ignoring your body’s fullness cues.
The American Diabetes Association recommends:
- Avoid distractions, (such as TV, computer or multi-tasking) while you eat. Focus on chewing slowly and putting down your fork between bites.
- Before you sit down for a meal, rate your hunger on a scale of 1-10. Consider whether you are eating for emotional reasons.
- If certain foods are triggers for overeating, don’t buy those foods.
- Make sure your food choices are nutritious.
- Use smaller bowls and plates to help you eat less.
- Make healthier foods readily available.