A delicious Mexican meal doesn’t have to be high in fat, calories or salt.
Try these healthier ideas from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Include in your meal avocados, peppers, tomatoes, mangoes or jicama. Dip into fresh salsa, and make a dessert with a berry or other fruit base.
- Skip the sour cream, cheese and other high-fat fare, in favor of tortillas filled with veggies, chicken and beans. Look for dishes that are grilled, broiled, baked or stir-fried.
- Don’t be afraid to ask a restaurant for substitutions. Skip the fried tortilla shell for a taco salad, and ask for sauces and toppings to be served on the side. Choose soft corn tortillas.
- Season food with chilies, lime, cilantro and other fresh, natural flavors that don’t overpower with salt.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Opt for a light beer or a margarita on the rocks, and skip the salt on the rim.
Leave a Reply