Not getting enough sleep can worsen depression, experts say.
What can you do to improve both? The National Sleep Foundation suggests:
- Don’t ignore symptoms of depression. See a doctor for treatment, which may mean medication, psychological therapy or both.
- Go to bed at the same time each night, and wake up at the same time each morning.
- Exercise daily, and practice relaxation techniques such as meditation or deep breathing.
- Don’t use nicotine, alcohol or caffeine, especially in the evening.
- Don’t watch TV or use a computer in the bedroom.
- Use a white noise machine or earplugs to block out noise.