With dangers from sunburn to fungus, summer can be perilous for unprotected feet.
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these suggestions:
- Don’t go barefoot. When walking to the pool, beach, locker room or around a hotel, always wear a pair of flip flops, shoes or sneakers.
- Apply sunscreen to all areas of your feet and ankles. Reapply after getting out of the water.
- Drink plenty of water every day, all day.
- Practice calf stretches, toe wiggles and ankle flexes to promote circulation.
- If you’re heading to the beach, lake or river, find out if any special footwear is needed.
- Seek medical attention for any foot injury.
- Pack a small emergency kit that includes bandages, moleskin and nail clippers.