Falling and potentially hurting yourself isn’t a foregone part of getting older.
To help prevent falls, the American Academy of Family Physicians suggests:
- Keep your home well lit, and install night lights throughout.
- Keep rugs securely fastened, or use a backing that prevents skidding. Make sure shoes have sturdy, nonskid soles.
- Don’t leave electrical cords in areas where you walk.
- Install hand rails in the bathroom at the toilet and in the shower.
- Make sure stairways have railings on both sides.