In-line skating is a popular, fun way to exercise. But as with any activity, you should follow certain safety precautions.
The American Council on Exercise advises:
- Always wear protective gear on the wrists, elbows and knees, and a helmet. If you don’t own this equipment, rent it.
- Make sure your skates fit snugly and comfortably, without pressure on your foot or ankle.
- A rental shop should always include all protective gear, including a helmet, with the skates rental.
- When trying on skates, move around or skate a step or two forward.
- Start out skating in a flat, open area without traffic and with grassy spots, in case you fall.
- Learn how to stop properly.
- Focus on improving your balance and stride.